Monday, October 19, 2009

Baking bread

It's really hard getting decent bread here. We can get good baguettes in the bakery in the basement of Sogo Department Store and okay white loaves at several bakeries scattered around the area, but I haven't found anything for sale with more than about 10% rye or 20% whole wheat flour, though they are called "rye bread" and "whole wheat bread." For years I've had bread machines, but my wife made such wonderful bread by hand when we lived in the U.S. that I decided as soon as the weather cooled off, I'd learn to make my own. I've started this past week, first Irish soada bread, now regular bread. The one today, my second yeast bread, had 40% whole wheat flour, 55% bread flour, and 5% all-purpose flour because I ran out of bread flour.

Lee helped.





No comments:

Post a Comment