Thursday, June 25, 2009

Saba no miso ni

Dinner tonight was a really common dish, saba no miso ni. Saba is mackeral. Miso is one of the main flavoring ingredients in Japanese cooking (think "miso soup"). The no and ni are grammatical bits meaning, in this case, "(cooked) in."


I bought three saba fillets (for 280 yen, in case you're interested). As always, or just about always, this meant I had to bring them home on a large styrofoam tray, which will be recycled as I described before. I simmered two of the fillets (cut in half) for 10 minutes in:

1/2 c. water
3 Tablespoons of white sugar
6 Tablespoons of miso
1 Tablespoon minced fresh ginger




I steamed the third fillet with no seasonings in the microwave for Lee. She ate some of it dipped lightly in the extra miso sauce. It wasn't her favorite fish. I thought the sauce was a little sweeter than I prefer. Yoshie thought the degree of sweetness was just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment