Saturday, July 25, 2009

Curry udon



Japanese curry (this is packaged, cooked, heat-n-serve curry) is mild even when it says spicy. This one says mild, so I guess it really is. Lee loves it, even when, as tonight, I add chopped cabbage to increase her vegetable intake for the day.


Curry probably first came to Japan with Indian cooks working for the foreign diplomatic and commercial missions in the late 19th century, but the usual story for the introduction of curry into Japan puts the date around the turn of the last century. Whenever it happened, it happened in the form of ultra-mild beef curry based on a French-style roux. I didn't like it even before I gave up eating mammals, but I keep some of these packages handy for Lee for those times I really want to eat something more interesting and really, really don't want to cook.

Curry udon is awfully Japanese, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment